The play begins in 1901 and then skips ahead three years for Act 2. Why do you think the author chose to move ahead? Why not keep the entire play about one year?
16 comments:
Anonymous
said...
I think that the author skipped ahead because the story is mainly about George and Emily and he wanted to see them get married. Skipping ahead made the story more interesting.
I think the author chose to skip ahead so the play would not take up so much time, and also to make it more interesting. The author might also want you to guess what happens in that time period.
In the second act the story skipped ahead three years.I think maybe the stage manager wanted to tell us about the more important stuff than just have us readers read about people doing everyday things.
If it was the same year then everyone would be the same age and there would be no good and interesting parts. George and Emily would be to young to get married and that is an important part.
If they didnt skip years then they wouldnt be getting married because they would be to young. They get married after high school and if they didnt skip they would still be in school. But then they come back to what happened whenever they were talking about getting married.
The author might have jumped ahead because the two years that past were not that important but a fews years down the road are. George and Emily get married in 1904. Main events might not have happened in those 2 or 3 skipped years.
I think skiped ahead because there might not have been something going on through the years. There might have been something about George, Emily, or/and Dr. Gibbs. A year is a long time but they skiped three years.
I think he skiped a few years because he wanted them to get married after high school.After they get married they are going to have a problem or something good happen to them. But I think that in the third act George is going to go out to war and most likely die because the first act was called the daliy life then the next love and marrige than I think the last one is going to be called death or the end. But I think he skiped a few years to have the wedding afther high school.
The author probably choose to skip ahead so that you can have more things happen in tha play. If it was just one year then George and Emily wouldn't have gotten married in the play and things like that. Skipping ahead made it possible to put in more events.
I think the author skipped 3 years because he had to keep the story moving, if he went through almost everyday for 3 years just to get to an important part in the story then his readers would loose interest. The story would be no fun if the author went on about almost every day to get to a major part in the story.
The reason why is because all of the good stuff didn't all happen in one year and I don't think that anybody would whant to know every little thing that happend that year!
I think the author skipped ahead beacuse he wanted to make it more intresting. He wanted people to think that he wouldn't go back to explain but he did!
I think that the author skiped ahead from 1901 to 1904 because if he/she didn't then I don't think Emily and George could have got married? I also think skipping ahead a few years made they story more interesting and more exciting.
I think the skip was good so that the audience could see how a highschooler's life is after he or she is out of highschool. I also think that the skip was good part for the play because the characters would not just be one age.
I think their probably wasn't very much going on and it wasn't that important to the story. He also wanted us to see what would happen to Emily and George. It also might have been to long of a story with it.
This is my tenth year teaching at WLHS. I graduated from Illinois College in Jacksonville, IL, and am wrapping up an MA degree from Western Illinois University.
Here at WLHS, I teach English I, Advanced English IV, English Plus, and Publications courses. I also advise the yearbook staff.
16 comments:
I think that the author skipped ahead because the story is mainly about George and Emily and he wanted to see them get married. Skipping ahead made the story more interesting.
I think the author chose to skip ahead so the play would not take up so much time, and also to make it more interesting. The author might also want you to guess what happens in that time period.
In the second act the story skipped ahead three years.I think maybe the stage manager wanted to tell us about the more important stuff than just have us readers read about people doing everyday things.
If it was the same year then everyone would be the same age and there would be no good and interesting parts. George and Emily would be to young to get married and that is an important part.
If they didnt skip years then they wouldnt be getting married because they would be to young. They get married after high school and if they didnt skip they would still be in school. But then they come back to what happened whenever they were talking about getting married.
The author might have jumped ahead because the two years that past were not that important but a fews years down the road are. George and Emily get married in 1904. Main events might not have happened in those 2 or 3 skipped years.
I think skiped ahead because there might not have been something going on through the years. There might have been something about George, Emily, or/and Dr. Gibbs. A year is a long time but they skiped three years.
I think he skiped a few years because he wanted them to get married after high school.After they get married they are going to have a problem or something good happen to them. But I think that in the third act George is going to go out to war and most likely die because the first act was called the daliy life then the next love and marrige than I think the last one is going to be called death or the end. But I think he skiped a few years to have the wedding afther high school.
The author probably choose to skip ahead so that you can have more things happen in tha play. If it was just one year then George and Emily wouldn't have gotten married in the play and things like that. Skipping ahead made it possible to put in more events.
I think the author skipped 3 years because he had to keep the story moving, if he went through almost everyday for 3 years just to get to an important part in the story then his readers would loose interest. The story would be no fun if the author went on about almost every day to get to a major part in the story.
The reason why is because all of the good stuff didn't all happen in one year and I don't think that anybody would whant to know every little thing that happend that year!
I think the author skipped ahead beacuse he wanted to make it more intresting. He wanted people to think that he wouldn't go back to explain but he did!
I think that the author skiped ahead from 1901 to 1904 because if he/she didn't then I don't think Emily and George could have got married? I also think skipping ahead a few years made they story more interesting and more exciting.
I think the skip was good so that the audience could see how a highschooler's life is after he or she is out of highschool. I also think that the skip was good part for the play because the characters would not just be one age.
I think their probably wasn't very much going on and it wasn't that important to the story. He also wanted us to see what would happen to Emily and George. It also might have been to long of a story with it.
I think he skiped ahead because nothing really happened in between the years that he skiped.
Post a Comment